Bethesda International Academy was first established in 1952 as a Christian school under the name of Bethesda Lutheran School. With the mission of giving children a quality “Christ-centered” education. The school initially served the children of the parish and then expanded over time to serve the needs of the community.
Bethesda Evangelical Lutheran Church has served the West Ridge community since 1920. It began the operation of Bethesda Lutheran School in 1952. In 1987 the existing Kindergarten to 8th grade program was expanded by the addition of an Extended Care Program to provide after school care for working parents. The program was further expanded in 1989 with the addition of a 4-year-old Preschool class, and again in 1992 with the addition of a 3 year old preschool class. The offering of a full day childcare program for children age 3-5 began in 1993 offering a sound educational program for preschool age children through Kindergarten. Bethesda Lutheran School continues to provide a quality education for students in Preschool through grade 8.
In August of 2013 the Bethesda Lutheran School became Bethesda International Academy a name we felt reflected our multicultural ethnicity. We still joyfully teach and model our Christian values of love and service, the difference now at Bethesda is our emphasis on global leadership to positively impact the 21st Century.
Our school mascot, the Buzz, represents the new excitement resulting from vigorous academic enhancements, school renovations, and the positive qualities of bees–industriousness, common goals, and commitment to the group.
We are a Non-discriminatory school and we are proud to be one of the most culturally diverse Lutheran schools in the United States.